St Mary’s Cathedral College accepts enrolments for boys in Stage 2 (Years 3 & 4) and Stage 3 (Year 5 only). The College is offering places for boys who wish to extend their musical education, as either choral scholars or music scholars. Auditions will be held by appointment.
Choir applicants apply and audition at the Cathedral Song School then apply to the College through the usual enrolment process.
Music scholars apply to the College. Music auditions are held during the interview process. Boys do not need to be able to play a musical instrument and are assessed on their musical aptitude.
CHORAL SCHOLARS 2017
- Choral scholars are a part of the Cathedral Choir and participate in the liturgical life of the Cathedral and the Archdiocese of Sydney.
- Boys are accepted in Year 3 only for choir positions.
- Year 3 & 4 choristers learn the piano.
- All choristers receive a private singing lesson as a part of their scholarship.
- Choristers are expected to study a musical instrument as a part of their overall music education.
- Continued enrolment is conditional on remaining in the chorister program.
MUSIC SCHOLARS 2017
- Music scholars participate in College instrumental ensembles, orchestra or bands depending on instrument and ability level.
- Years 3 & 4 boys learn a string instrument (violin, viola, cello, double bass).
- Years 5 & 6 boys learn an orchestral or concert band instrument (brass, strings, woodwind).
- Boys are accepted into Years 3, 4, & 5 (depending on vacancies).
- Applicants undertake an audition during the interview process.
- Continued enrolment is conditional on remaining in the music program.